Sunday, May 13, 2012

Service Learning

    Literal
·       At my service learning at San Dimas Community Hospital I first was stationed with the EMT for a couple of days. There I helped clean beds, fill drawers with the necessary bandages and helped with whatever was asked of me. I later then was stationed with the RNs and CNS at MedSurge. There I helped make patient charts, file them, answer the call light (patient call), pushed a book cart to each of the patient’s room, and made runs ordered by the nurse to the patients. HERE is a log of my hours.
·        Kathleen Rivero (951) 233-2150 ext. 2195
    Interpretive
     What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?
                The most important thing that I’ve gained from service learning was being able to experience what it was like to be a nurse firsthand. It allowed me to see how nurses go about their schedule and deal with all their patients. By seeing the way they handle their patients it not only helped me with my senior project but also helped me better myself. At times I was able to interact with the many different patients whether it be just taking them water or asking if they needed anything from the nurse. It helped me improve my people skills and better myself as a person by allowing myself to step out my comfort zone and not be shy; just as a nurse is to do.
   Applied                                      
     How did what you did help you answer your EQ?  Please explain.
                Service learning has helped me immensely to answer my EQ. I was able to see firsthand how nurses go about their daily schedule and meet the needs of their patients. Being able to watch them was like seeing my research come to life. For instance, reading that it is necessary that nurses develop bedside manners in order to communicate fully with their patients served as a good example. I was able to see how the nurses treat their patients and converse with them. Doing service learning at the nurse’s station put me in the focal point of the nurses and allowed me to interact and see what was most important in being a RN. I was able to ask any question I felt I was uncertain of or regarding my EQ and they were always happy to answer. Surrounded by nurses was the best way to answer my EQ as it allowed me to see not only the professional side of them but also the emotional side.



No comments:

Post a Comment